There’s Nothing Called An iPhone-killer
After the “iPod-killer”, now come the “iPhone-killers”. But just as no music player has been able to even challenge iPod’s numero uno position, similarly it seems highly unlikely that any phone with features comparable to the iPhone could compete head-to-head with Apple’s new creation.
Some of the handsets that are being seen as strong competitors to the iPhone & why they lag behind iPhone:
- Runs on Symbian OS 9.2 (latest) which is the most virus-prone OS in any handset.
- Nokia has so far failed to do any wonders with its Multimedia packed N-Series.
- In the last 4-5 years (since the launch of MotoRazr) Nokia could never produce a phone to challenge the mighty Razr.
- The phone, although packed with great features, isn’t cheap.
- A low internal memory (160MB) compared to iPhone.
- Its smart phone like features could keep it away from the hands of the average users.
- Nokia has never made a “beautiful” phone. Its handset designs are very traditional and Nokia hardly experiments (barring the new sleek 6300).
- It lacks an operating system.
- Low internal memory which could result in frequent hanging of the phone.
- LG is not a brand as big as Apple or Nokia; most people would prefer market leaders to LG.
- HTC, like Apple, is new company in the handset market but Apple is still light years ahead in terms of brand recognition & reliability.
- Still this phone comes closest to challenging the iPhone.
- It has Windows Mobile Edition 6, an in-built processor.
- Revolutionary design but it still can’t be compared to the looks that iPhone has.
- Although Samsung is the world’s No.3 in handset market, it has so far failed to match the big players (Nokia & Motorola).
- Samsung hasn’t yet produced a phone that could that the world by storm.
Not that iPhone is perfect.
- It lacks 3G connectivity.
- Has a modest 2-megapixel camera, which could have been (and should have been) better.
- People have their doubt about the durability of the large touch screen.
- It lacks features like Visual Radio etc.
But it has some features which could attract customers in large numbers.
- It has the impressive Mac OS X. Well that you cannot find in any other phone.
- People certainly want to try Mac & iPhone gives them a relatively cheaper option for the ultimate OS transition.
- The looks of the iPhone are simply great.
- Has a huge internal memory of 4 to 8 GB.
- And last but certainly not the least it’s an iPod.
iPhone certainly has its shortfalls but the world has still to witness the birth of an iPhone-killer.